Thursday, October 7, 2010

Eat, Drink, and Be Merry

While in the summer fresh raw fruits and vegetables are more dominant, fall vegetables and fruits are naturally heavier ie. squash, potatoes, apples.  During this season I like to add a little more healthy fats to my diet (nuts, olive oil, avocado) and eat warmer foods, opposed to dry or cold foods.   According to Ayurveda, warmer foods are easier to digest and oils help to lubricate our body.   Think oatmeal instead of dry cereal.  Cooked grains versus crackers or chips.   Soups and cooked vegetables versus raw salads.   Warm rice pudding instead of ice cream.  You can even bake your apples instead of eating them raw.  If you feel like your digestion is sluggish, try adding some warming spices like ginger to your foods.    Eat on a regular schedule if you can and try not to skip meals.   Cut back on refined sugars and caffeine which can aggravate vata dosha.  I also like to drink lots of herbal tea versus cold water during this time of year.  It helps my digestion and keeps me warm.   I look for warming spices such as ginger, cinnamon, chiles, cardamon, and cloves.    You can make your own (I sometimes just boil ginger and strain) or buy one of the many varieties they have in stores now.

No comments:

Post a Comment