Sunday, October 17, 2010

Sleep Well?

Recently my boyfriend was hit with a bout of insomnia.  I tried to solve it by telling him all of the things that help me when I feel restless such as sniffing lavender, meditating, or practicing restorative poses like Supta Badda Konasana and child's pose.  None of these things seemed to help so I suggested getting some bodywork.  I texted my friend Juliana, a wonderful craniosacral therapist and asked her if she thought a session would help his insomnia.  She immediately replied "yes."  He went to her that evening and later said the session felt subtle, but was "very cool."  He took a melatonin that night and since then he has been sleeping like a baby.

supta baddha konasana

This goes to show that there's not just one solution to every problem.  What worked for me had little impact on my boyfriend.  Magazines will say "for great abs, do this exercise" or "to stay energized, eat this food" and so on and so fourth.  Even I catch myself making these sorts of statements to my students, but in reality we are all different, and what works for one person may not work for another.   While we don't want to close off the suggestions of others, ultimately we have to find out what works best for ourselves.

Check out Juliana's site: www.biodynamicsandyoga.wordpress.com

childs pose

1 comment:

  1. Babies love their sleep but they hate it when their sleepy time is disturbed by elements that are out of their control. Lucky for them, they have you to prevent this from happening. There are many ways you can help your little bundle of joy take a quiet, pleasant nap without attracting unwanted grumpiness.. https://preganews.com/4-ways-to-help-your-little-one-sleep-better/

    ReplyDelete